Welcome to the Cardinal Family!
The Department of Student Development and Leadership (SDL), with the support of the Division of Student Engagement, is comprised of a wide-ranging array of programs and services dedicated to providing students with opportunities to increasing leadership abilities, promoting student learning, and enhancing the development of all Lamar University students. The department contributes to the University mission by preparing students to assume roles of leadership, involvement, and service at LU and in the community.
All programs and services are designed on a custom leveling system.
- Emerging Leaders (Freshmen-Sophomore)
- Students will be developed in the areas of self-awareness and self-management. Participants will learn more about their leadership skills and how they can apply them as involved students.
- Collaborative Leaders (Sophomore-Juniors)
- Students will concentrate on learning how to be more effective as leaders within organizations. We will focus on team development, power and authority, conflict and change management, and other topics.
- Citizen Leaders (Juniors-Seniors)
- Students will focus on applying leadership concepts to their roles after college. We will partner with other departments to provide workshops that will prepare students to take leadership roles outside of the university. This level will concentrate on methods for engaging in positive social change, professionalism, and continued identity development.
Please browse our website to learn more about the department and the various services offered.